Layers that will not purge
Sometimes while using AutoCAD, you want to delete a layer, but even
after removing all entities from the layer in question, it will not
purge. Hopefully the following troubleshooting will help.
There are really only two causes. An entity is referencing the
layer you are trying to delete, or it's a corrupt drawing. Look for
entities in these places:
- Block definitions
- Empty text strings
- Viewports with frozen layers
Depending on the version of AutoCAD and 3rd party applications
that you have:
- If you have Express Tools, use the Layer Merge command to merge entities from the mystery layer onto layer 0 (zero).
- Go to http://www.manusoft.com
and take a look at SuperPurge. This tool will delete any referenced item using it's hard purge method. This low cost tool is well worth it's price.
- Find the entities that are referencing the layer you wish to
delete and delete those entities, or move them to another layer.
- Use BEDIT or REFEDIT to check your block definitions.
- Turn on QTEXTMODE in order to see empty text strings.
- If you have viewports, switch to each and make sure the layer isn't frozen.
If none of these work, you may have a corrupt drawing. Try using WBLOCK to create a new drawing.