Using Math with Fields
Here is a little tip on using math in fields that reference other fields. How could this help you? Let's look at an example where we will create a field that shows us 1/3 of the length of a line.
- Run the FIELD command.
- Under "Field Category", choose Objects, then choose "Formula" for the "Field Name".
- Right click in the Formula area and choose "Insert Field".
- A second Field dialog will appear. Select "Object", pick the select button then select the line.
- When the dialog returns choose "Length" as the property and click OK to close this dialog.
- Now back to the original Field dialog. It should look like the one shown below, where the length of the line is shown with a grey background (so you know it's a field). My line length is 8.9216.
- Place your cursor at the end of this field, add a space, and then add the math formula. In this example, I'll add * 0.3333, to get 1/3 of the length.
- Now press the "Evaluate" button and the look in the upper right of the dialog. The result of your formula will be displayed.
- Press OK to place the field in the drawing. I used the additional format button to add a text prefix to mine.
This same process holds true for just about any type of numeric field. It could be a sheet set property or a system variable. Unfortunately Dates do not work with math using this process. But there is another way to use math with dates in fields, stay tuned for a post on how to do this.